Thursday, November 27, 2008

mail situation...


Ok...this is what happens to packages on their way to me.  I'm pretty sure my mom didn't masking tape the sides together herself, which means somebody tampered with it (well, the woman at the desk said something that could have been that they did it in the post office, but other volunteers say that they only open your packages in front of you there and I was just so excited for my first piece of mail in 6 weeks that I wasn't really listening).  IF you plan on sending mail, I highly recommend religious decorations and a list of items inside, which can be in english, but with a title of "Lista de Cosas en Este Paquete" so tamperers know they're being watched and so I know what you intended to send and I can appreciate it fully. I'm so sad that this happens, though whoever opened the package didn't notice the silver necklace that my friend Emily had sent to my house and which made it here unstolen.

I'm only going into this much detail about the subject because I know that sending packages and letters is a way many of you wonderful people can feel connected to what I'm doing here and I don't want that effort to be in vain...not because I think I deserve to be so spoiled.

Religious Sayings in Spanish, perfect for packages:  "Dios Te Bendice," (God Bless You) "Que Viva el Amor de Jesus," (no direct translation--That Would Live the Love of Jesus) "Señor de los Milagros, Guianos" (Lord of Miracles, Guide Us --the Lord of Miracles is major here)

A tip I've also heard from volunteers...since seeds are technically not ok to send, relatives have taped them inside double-folded magazine advertisements and it just looks to a careless customs officer or package hijacker like it's a magazine.  I think CD's and DVD's would also be well packaged this way.

Please do not spend lots of money on the contents of a package, I'm not in desperate need of expensive things, and I'd hate for anybody to spend money on things that will get stolen.  Second hand books aren't too big of an investment, will be appreciated by volunteers for years to come (we have book exchanges) and if they do get stolen, don't hurt thy sacred pockets too much.

P.S. I never had nor saw a tampered package in Bolivia.  Harumph!

2 comments:

Flaming Curmudgeon said...

Sent you a bunch of magazines and some cds inside yesterday. I didn't have any religious stickers. I'm going to get some for the next package. I did not enclose any diamonds or candy this time. Ooops. Mona is a doorbell. Oh, it's an old joke but it still works! Happy Thanksgiving. Love, UK

JSL said...

We will do better this time -- here come those Christmas gifts (shh don't tell Customs). We have LOTS of stickers religiosos.

Love, M&D