Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Help a cause!

What's this a picture of???  How can YOU get involved in what's going on here?
Keep reading...

I´m finally making new friends in my region! I feel like each time I´ve made a friend nearby they´ve left suddenly. Am I cursed? Anyways, I was out helping my closest neighbor (was my second-closest until my first-closest left...) with painting a world map in the school. ...
(my friend and a community helper painting the map...pretty nice right?)

...and learned he´s also looking to renovate the town park, but only has 4 months left and is still waiting on funding. This is the type of project where the community puts up about half the funding and then Peace Corps puts a description of the project on their website and anyone can donate funds. I know economic times are tight for most of my readership, but consider donating to this project, I´ve seen the community and I think it´s a worthy donation (plus I don´t forsee myself requesting monetary donations for my community, so if you want an easy way to help out a Panama volunteer, don´t hesitate!). And if the community in Panama managed to come up with 47 percent...consider why the rest of the world can´t manage to get the other 53% donated. There are plenty of projects worldwide you can donate to in this way, but here´s the website for my friend´s project.
https://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=resources.donors.contribute.projDetail&projdesc=525-111

The community members are fairly well organized and they have a self-proclaimed group of ¨nature lovers¨who volunteer with the National Authority for the Environment, making the community a more eco-friendly place. So, I think they´re deserving of a park beautification project.

Thanks for your support!

1 comment:

Flaming Curmudgeon said...

Great to hear all the progress. Vacation sounded fun and I bet it was great to have the whole family together for a bit. A little birthday gift is on the way but I don't know if it will make it on time. I was on vacation myself and discombobulated. Weather has been cool here. Strange. I have many things to send you and I will get to that next week I promise when the boss is away. UK