Monday, June 15, 2009

I have to explain my birthday out of order because that's how the pictures uploaded.  All in all a great day, I had two volunteer friends hanging out with me in my site, and this is what we did.

Took my host brothers and their cousins swimming in the river.  It was still kind of low because the rains haven't been every day (biiig problem since all the crops are just coming up), but it was swimmable.  That's me in the center swimming with my 11-year old host brother.
Piñata candy collection, from the piñata I provided for the kids.
Left: my friend Glenda (since the first day of pre-departure staging for Bolivia in Washington, D.C., to Bolivia, and now in Panama); center, little Veronica almost hits Miguelin in the head while trying to get the piñata with her eyes closed (Miguelin had spotted a stray candy on the ground).
Me and the coconut-rum cake with guava filling and whipped cream icing and 24 candles.
Me and piñata. Yes, I've lost weight and am very happy about it.


In other news besides getting older, the women's health class I've started is going well, last week I tried to teach an aerobics/dance routine to a Janet Jackson song, that didn't really work but the women had fun.  More on that soon.

Thanks always for the support, and thanks for all the recent birthday wishes!

3 comments:

L. Lewis said...

Happy (belated) birthday! Looks like a lot of fun!

Flaming Curmudgeon said...

Oh, old Uncle Kev is so pleased to see you looking so well on your birthday! I sent you an actual gift and I hope it gets to you soon. You look swell. And that cake looks amazing! HOORAY FOR BIRTHDAYS and GEMINIS! UK

Unknown said...

ra,
you look fantastic (as does that cake!) i am glad you had a wonderful day and can't wait for you to be back next year! <3, amy